Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Junior Urban Adventure - Closure from Lindsay

When i first heard about the Junior Urban Adventure trip, i was very nervous and skeptical on how the whole trip would play out. Any and all things that could possibly go wrong or turn the trip into a downer were racing through my mind. Once we got on the bus and headed into Boston, i began to get very excited and I truly couldn't wait to start interviewing people and answering not only my personal driving question, but as well as the group question of, "Is the truth manufactured?". I knew that this trip, whether I knew it straight from the get-go or not, would definitely be a memorable and once-in-a-lifetime experience that I would greatly appreciate.

Our first play of business was the MIT student lounge and cafeteria where my group and I had a blast interviewing both students and staff and got several varied and similar responses on their preferred source of media such as TheNewYorkTimes.com, the places they wouldn't trust which consisted unanimously of Fox News, and their own beliefs on the topic of manufactured truth which was also a complete yes across the board. All in all, MIT (especially the campus itself) and the people that spent their time there were very impressive and inspiring.

Our second appointment in the Boston adventure was NPR radio which personally was my favorite experience throughout this entire trip. My dream for college as well as for a future career is to get involved in Journalism, Communications, and Radio business, so to be able to spend a good chunk of time at a very prestigious, well-known, and trusted station was more then I could have asked for. the studios were amazing, the personal were fabulous, the tour guides themselves (one of which just happened to be a girl from my hometown in little old Washington 2500 miles away from Boston,.. Hi Rachel!) were more then kind and informal, and the general experience is something I know I was very lucky to receive. NPR Radio is easily the one place in this trip that was the most inspiring as well as it completely added to my drive to make it big in the Journalism/Communications world. To NPR, thank you!

Last but certainly not least was our voyage to NECN (New England Cable News) which was just like NPR, very impressive. We took a complete tour of the station, the sets, the behind the scenes areas such as the meteorologist's office, the engineering room, as well as so much more. We actually got to sit in on the set while Chris Collins (who is actually an Alum from our school) and the other men he worked with reported on the sports. We were able to talk with him one-on-one as well as first hand sit on a table behind the cameras and watch him the men bicker about the Patriot's and their defense from this past Sunday's game (or lack thereof according to one man) which was hilarious and also an experience I will probably never be able to get again. I feel very lucky to sit on on such a cool event.

To sum up this entire trip, the only word that comes to mind is grateful. I was able to interview amazing people, watch people work in action like Chris Collins at NECN, the workroom at NPR and to see the famous Bob Oaks do a live broadcast. My experience in Boston for the last two days, to me, is definitely brag-worthy and I'm more then satisfied for how this trip turned out. It was better then I ever expected! Thank you, New Hampton, for giving us this opportunity. =]

No comments: