Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wrapping up - JUA 2007

In about one hour, we will be wrapping up the whole schedule of JUA 2007 and going back to New Hampton. In thirteen hours we will be heading back to our classes. In 29 hours, I'll be on a plane heading back home. In those senses, I would like to wrap up the JUA on this blog.

Since when I first became a junior in September, I was highly anticipating JUA. To be honest, the reason was only because I get to get out of classes for two days, go to Boston, and have fun. However, as I was involved in JUA progress, I found out that there was something more in JUA. Until I actually started JUA, I didn't know how exactly JUA works though I attended NHS since when I was freshman. Now, I know that JUA is all about trying to answer a question in a group by solving various other problems in the middle of Boston.

The first day was not a success, but it is hard to say that it was a failure. Our appointment with Media Lab of MIT was canceled, but we were able to grab few of the actual students of MIT and ask about what media they use to view information on the news. That was very helpful because we were able to find out what people actually use to find news information. We went to a nice Thai restaurant and ate dinner. (That was the first time I ate Thai food.) Then we watched 'I Am Legend', a highly anticipated movie starred by Will Smith.

The actual schedule started in the second day. We visited WBUR, a part of NPR in the morning. Two people from the marketing came and toured us through the whole office including the actual radio studio, which was built very scientifically. At afternoon, we visited NECN, and had a chance to watch the recording of 'Patriot Football Weekly' which anchored by Chris Collins, who is a graduate of New Hampton School. It was an unique experience.

So, do I think the truth is manufactured? Also, do I think the truth can change? I think I do, because some people controlling the media companies has the ability to alter truth. However,
I know now that there are people who work hard to find the real truth. And because of them, I think I can trust the media for now.

No comments: